When a Syrian refugee family is invited to a Christian family’s house for Christmas dinner, they are caught between opposing viewpoints for and against their presence—until an unexpected event suddenly occurs.
Written & Directed by Vee Hua (IMDB)
SELECT PRESS FOR SEARCHING SKIES
- Vivian Hua Unpacks Islamophobia in Searching Skies (South Seattle Emerald, 2018)
- A Film Festival Takes a Stand against Islamophobia (Oregon ArtsWatch, 2017)
the seventh art stand
The Seventh Art Stand was a civil rights film screening and discussion series co-founded and co-organized by myself, Northwest Film Forum (prior to my working there), and New York-based distributor Abramorama. Its first installment, centered on anti-Islamaphobia issues, screened in over half the states in 50+ venues. Searching Skies was at the centerpiece at a number of these screenings. This organizing directly led me to becoming the Executive Director at Northwest Film Forum and working at the organization for over 4.5 years.
- The New York Times: A New Film Series Will Show Movies From Countries Affected by the Travel Ban (March 2017)
- City Arts Magazine: The Seventh Art Stand Fights Islamophobia (May 2017)
- Emily Pothast: The Seventh Art Stand Takes Aim at Islamophobia, One Film at a Time (May 2017)
- IndieWire: Movie Theaters and Filmmakers Team Up Against Islamophobia With The Seventh Stand Initiative (March 2017)
These PSAs were screened in conjunction with The Seventh Art Stand, a nationwide series of films presented by more than 50 venues in half the States across the the U.S., as an act of cinematic solidarity against Islamophobia. A full map can be seen on the website: seventhartstand.com
This spot was produced by Action Group Network’s Los Angeles Inclusivity Action Goup and New York’s Resistance Media Collective. Directed by Vivian Hua, with DP Yuriy Chichkov and actor Brandon Howell.